History of Broadstone Mill
Built over 100 years ago by the Broadstone Spinning Company, the original mill complex comprised 640,000 ft² of two adjacent main blocks and a central engine house.
The mill closed in 1959 and its buildings were subject to periods of vacancy and mixed use. The south block and engine house were demolished in 1965.
The block that remains today comprises five floors above ground level, a basement and an ornamental water tower with a copper cupola which houses the lift shaft. Developed following the successful conversion of Houldsworth Mill, Broadstone Mill has been given a new lease of life and provides workspace and business incubation facilities alongside a successful shopping outlet.
Future plans involve the reconstruction of the south building to complement the existing structure, as well as reinstating the canal basin to form a marina at the front of the mill.